This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
As a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) at Red Deer Hospice Society you are responsible for all aspects of resident nursing care as well as required administrative functions. You are both an individual contributor and leader. You set the standard in providing thoughtful and individualized end of life care and creating a welcoming and comfortable environment for residents and their families.
Reports to: Nurse Manager (or the Nursing Supervisor in the absence of Nurse Manager)
Leadership role to: Health Care Aides (HCA)
Liaises with: Dietary staff and the bereavement support staff
External Contacts: Including: AHS Home Care Nurse Palliative Care Resource Nurse Physicians Pharmacies Suppliers PCN Pharmacist
Key Responsibility Areas
Resident Nursing Care
- Works collaboratively with the Nurse Manager, ED, AHS Home Care, Physicians, Registered Nurses and other members of the interdisciplinary team to provide resident care and safety as outlined in the resident care plan
- Consults with the Nurse Manager, residents’ medical doctors or other health care professionals for changes in resident status including issues such as pain management, medication and bereavement services
- Performs various procedures within scope, observes, monitors, reports, and documents change in physical, mental or emotional state to ensure optimal resident care
- Provides care for residents who meet admission criteria and monitors ever changing conditions.
- Leads and guides HCAs with the assessment of each resident and their care givers, establishing and maintaining a plan of care for each resident/family; and communicates status and plan of care with the team
- Provides feedback for resident care conferences including relevant information regarding treatments and procedures
- Understands and applies knowledge of all nursing practice to be consistent with relevant Acts and Regulations, Codes of Ethics, Standards of Practice and approved competencies of the CLPNA Perform all nursing duties with a strong level of understanding of the responsibility for fitness to practice in terms of physical and mental health.
- Administers medication using various routes, monitors continuous subcutaneous infusions and adjusting as deemed necessary/appropriate (includes programming, monitoring and changing)
- Provides support and comfort to residents and families.
- Demonstrates strong level of independence, emotional intelligence, self-awareness and critical thinking skills
Administrative Responsibilities and Meetings
- Charts all relevant resident information as per nursing standards and Hospice policy and procedures.
- Identifies required nursing supplies and submits appropriate requests to the Nurse Manager and Homecare
- Participates in required nursing staff meetings and general staff meetings
Education and Training
- Having the LEAP course completed is considered an asset
- Participates in educational sessions i.e. trach care, infusion pumps, and conferences
- Participates in required training including CPR, nursing in-services, back care, and other safety training
- Participates in the orientation of new employees
- Participates in Nursing Student experience placements
- Participates in education to obtain Hospice Palliative Care Certification
- Participates in leadership development programming as brokered through Red Deer Hospice Society
Performs other related duties as required which may include:
- Food preparation, kitchen clean up and laundry maintenance.
- Assistance with cleaning resident room in preparation for new admission if housekeeping staff is not available to do so before new admission is scheduled to arrive
- Night shift duties such as laundry, and other items for ongoing up keep and maintenance
- Completion of an accredited Licensed Practical Nurse education program (Diploma and active license)
- Palliative care training / courses/ certification is an asset
- Registered and good standing with governing body CLPNA
- 2-5 years of directly related resident / patient care in a palliative care setting. Hospice experience would be considered an asset.
- Hands-on experience with electronic charting and computer skills would be considered an asset.
- CLPNA registration
- Current CPR certification
- LEAP would be an asset
- Works well under pressure
- Problem recognition and problem solving
- Customer service driven
- Excellent observation, communication and critical thinking skills
- Self-directed with organizational skills
- Able to work effectively in physically and mentally demanding environment
- Offers and receives feedback professionally
To apply for this position, please submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or upload online using the form below.
The successful candidates will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Night, weekend and day shift availability is required.