This position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
One of the many accomplishments at Red Deer Hospice includes the pride we have in offering delicious, home-cooked, comfort food prepared with good ingredients and care. The kitchen of Red Deer Hospice Society is centered in the middle of the house intentionally, so that families and residents can feel at home, during their stay.
The foremost responsibility of the Culinary Specialist is to create, comfort food, at times responding to specific meal requests, offer families meals, fresh baking and to communicate with nurses to ensure the appropriate meals are being served to their individual needs. They are responsible to ensure the efficient day-to-day operation of the kitchen.
“Culinary Specialist” because they are valued for their expertise in taking care of our patient’s personal dietary needs with dignity, compassion, and hospitality.
Reports to: Nursing Supervisor
Works collaboratively with:
- Nursing staff
- Resident families and visitors
- Nursing Manager
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Head cook
Key Responsibility Areas
- Follows the weekly meal plan in the “Meal Plan” binder
- Ensures that all allergies and preferences and appropriate texture and portions are noted and prepared for the individual resident meal.
- Has knowledge on appropriate meal preparation for end of life residents.
- Organizes and prepares meals, including baking, and daily fresh soup preparation
- Abides by current health and food safety legislation, has the course to support application of knowledge
- Oversee and directly participate in providing quality meals meeting patient’s dietary requirements.
- Anticipates defrosting or preparation for meals on following shift/day
- Portion bulk groceries to prepare for freezer
- Ensures “back up” meal(s) and baking readily available
Kitchen Cleanliness and Maintenance
- Defrosts fridges; cleans stoves/ovens, cupboards, pantry, and high touch areas
- Supervises maintenance of kitchen equipment
- Washes dishes
- Maybe required to shop for groceries
- Able to make weekly orders to food suppliers
- Inventory management
Expectations as hospice staff
- Attends staff meetings and course and training as required
- Works closely with volunteers and nursing staff to ensure food safety and infection control practices
- Participates in the kitchen teamwork
- Adaptable and flexible when meals require adjustment
- Demonstrates pride in the quality and presentation of meals
- Communicates with Nursing staff to ensure the last meals our residents can eat, enhances quality of life while they can.
- When volunteers are part of assisting in the kitchen, they demonstrate personal relations, have a welcoming and teaching/coaching attitude while multitasking.
- Can work independently
- Wears appropriate attire in the kitchen
- Other duties as assigned
- Formal Culinary education
- Grade 12 or equivalent
- Certification in food preparation or equivalent experience
- Can manage the physical demands of the job description, in moments of unpredictably and can adapt easily to changing situations
- Flexible and positive demeanor
- Receives feedback well and has strong communication skills
- Team player and relationship builder on behalf of Hospice
- Minimum 2 years of experience in food preparation in a similar setting
- Exceptional public relations and interpersonal skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, able to use email for communication, receive updates and pay stubs
- Organizing and planning; prioritizing projects and deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Takes initiative
- Flexible and reliable
- Problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Teamwork and collaboration skills
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or submit using our online form below.
The successful candidates will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.